Friday, July 26, 2013

Alaric's Birth Story

He has finally arrived! Actually, he decided to come on the same day that I posted the 41 week blog post. As I had told you in the previous post, I woke up that morning and just did some errands. I wrote some emails, went to the chiropractor, and two banks as well. I did have some contractions the night before about every hour beginning at 12:30 am but they weren't that bad and I actually thought it could have been the bed. It had been making my back hurt a lot lately because I was sleeping super uncomfortable which then made me feel crampy in the morning. I was scheduled to be induced the next day which I really didn't want so in between errands, I was walking outside and have been drinking pineapple juice all weekend. Also, praying like crazy because I really wanted a natural birth and no induction. By around 1:30, I was definitely wondering if these were true contractions but was still functioning. I had packed up the hospital bags just in case. I had called Brad once at work around this time to tell him that it could possibly be the real thing. I told him if I called again then he needed to come home. I did end up calling him again around 3:45 and he came around four. He took a shower and while he was eating something, I was definitely sure of what was happening as the pain was getting steadily worse. By the time we left for the hospital around 5:11 pm I was clutching to anything close while I had a contraction. I still wasn't even sure that this was the real deal because I'm a skeptic about these things. Once they got me into room 555 and checked me out, the nurse was extremely surprised to find out that I was 7 cm dilated and 100% effaced. I literally said "what, holy shit!" when she told me because on Thursday for my doctor's appointment I was hardly 1 cm dilated and only 60% effaced. It just went crazy fast from there. Within five minutes, I was at 8 cm and my water broke and they were trying to get my doctor there ASAP. They hardly had time to get her there and the machines in the room before I was pushing. They asked me about pain relief one time but by the time the nurse got back into the room after calling the doctor there wasn't any time for it. Believe me, I would have sold my arm to get any sort of pain relief at that moment. It seemed like forever to me, but it didn't take too many pushes and he was here. Thank God for my husband and mother who were there for me and my iPod which had time to play one song before he was in my arms. To me now, it feels so surreal. Even when they had given him to me right away, and I saw him I didn't know what was even happening. To look back now, I'm glad it happened so quickly and it was over. I did get everything I wanted such as no induction, all natural, and of course a healthy baby. His pediatrician saw him the next day and he scored 100% on all his tests. I couldn't be more happy and blessed.

Alaric David Rath
July 22, 2013
8 lbs 11 oz
22 inches 

First Picture with Daddy
(mommy is still in what-the-hell-just-happened world)


A couple hours old


 
3 - days old




1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you got everything you wanted (even if it hurt like hell!) I definitely applaud you for having a natural birth! GO YOU

    He is so perfect! Maybe one day Lemon and Alaric can meet in real life :)

    I look forward to seeing all of your future posts and pics.

    ReplyDelete